Click the link below to download and review our resident screening criteria and our current rental and occupancy guidelines.
APPLICATION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Applicant has delivered $______ in the form of a _______, receipt of which is hereby acknowledged as a deposit (and not payment) to be retained or refunded as hereinafter provided. Applicant agrees to sign the lease by ______________ . In the event the application is approved and applicant fails or refuses to enter into the contemplated lease, Lessor shall retain the deposit as liquidated damages to cover the cost of removing the premises from the market and holding it for the applicant. In the event that the application is rejected, or the apartment is not ready for the desired date of occupancy, this deposit will be returned to the applicant.
This application is a preliminary step in the process of leasing the above-described apartment and is subject to approval or rejection by the Lessor. Upon notification of approval, applicant will promptly execute all lease documents and the deposit made with this application will become the security deposit under the lease. Upon notification of rejection, applicant may promptly pick up the deposit check during normal business hours at the rental office. Please allow a minimum of 5 days to verify your employment, prior rental referenced and credit.
I certify that all information in this application is true to the best of my knowledge, and I understand that false statements or information will lead to cancellation of this application or termination of tenancy after occupancy. I do hereby authorize the representatives of this apartment community to contact any agencies, local police departments, offices, groups or organizations to obtain and verify any information or materials which are deemed necessary to complete my application for housing. I further authorize said representatives to verify all information listed on this application. I understand that any information obtained by the representatives will be held in the strictest confidence.
TITLE VII of the CIVIL RIGHTS ACT of 1966 makes discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin illegal in connection with the rental of most housing. The Federal agency that administers compliance with this law concerning this company: The Department of Housing and Urban Development.
EQUAL CREDIT OPPORTUNITY ACT
The Federal Equal Credit Opportunity Act prohibits creditors from discriminating against credit applicants on the basis of sex or marital status. The Federal agency that administers compliance with this law concerning this company: Equal Credit Opportunity, Federal Trade Commission, Washington, D.C. 20580.
RESIDENT SCREENING CRITERIA
- Cottages of Tazewell Apartment Homes is an equal opportunity housing provider. We fully comply with the Federal Fair Housing Act. We do not discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin. We also comply with all state and local Fair Housing laws.
- Apartment availability policy. Apartments become available when they are deemed ready for move-in. A vacant apartment will not be deemed available until it has been cleaned, repainted, prepared and certified by the Property Manager. We update our list of available apartments as each apartment becomes available. An apartment that was unavailable in the morning may become available later the same day as work is completed.
- Age. All persons over the age of 18 residing in an apartment are considered parties to the lease and must qualify financially.
- Roommates. Every roommate must complete an application. Each applicant will be separately qualified. The income requirements may be combined.
- Occupancy Standards. To prevent overcrowding and undue stress on plumbing and other building systems, we restrict the number of people who may reside in an apartment. In determining these restrictions, we adhere to all applicable Fair Housing laws. We allow two related persons per bedroom. For example, a one bedroom apartment may house up to two related people and a two bedroom may house up to four related people. A one bedroom apartment may house up to two unrelated people and a two bedroom may house up to three unrelated people.
- Application process. We evaluate every apartment application in the following manner:
a. Applicant submits a rental application, answering all questions on the application form, and authorizes the employment history, rental history, and credit and criminal background checks via signature and date.
b. Applicant pays the nonrefundable application fee.
c. From applicants’ responses to the application questions, management will determine whether the applicants qualify for the requested apartment.
d. Management will check each applicant’s credit report, employment history and rental references to confirm that all meet our rental criteria. If the applicant(s) meet our criteria, we will approve the application.
e. This process takes one to two days. We will rent available apartments to applicants in the order that their applications are approved.
7. Rental Criteria. To qualify for an apartment, every applicant must meet the following criteria:
a. Income. The applicants’ total gross monthly income must equal at least three times the monthly rent. Applicants must be able to prove at least one year of employment immediately preceding the date of the application. If applicants have been full time students at any time within the previous year, management will require a lease guarantor. If applicants are unemployed, proof of an alternate source of income is required. If self-employed, a verifiable tax statement showing earnings from the previous year must be provided.
b. Rental History. Every applicant must have satisfactory rental and/or mortgage payment history. If applicants have ever been evicted or sued for any lease violation, the application will be rejected.
c. Credit History. Every applicant’s credit record must currently be satisfactory.
d. Criminal History. If any of the applicants have ever been convicted of a felony, the application will be rejected. If convicted of a misdemeanor involving dishonesty or violence within the past five years, the application will be rejected.
e. Guarantors. If the applicants do not meet one or more of the above criteria, a third party to guarantee the lease may be accepted. The guarantor must pass the same application and screening process that every other applicant must pass except that management will deduct the guarantor’s own housing costs before applying his or her income to our income standard.